The fiber optical link offers long distance, low latency and fast speed network connection. The simplest way to setup the fiber link is using one pair of media convertor. The SFP module may be needed to work with media convertor.
There are SFP port, RJ45 port, DC12V power terminal and some indicator LED in media convertor. Same as any other electronic devices, the media converter requires power source as well. The below are the steps to make the fiber connection.
1. Firstly, take off the cap on the SFP slot. Insert the SFP module into the slot. You should hear small click sound after SFP makes proper contact with the media converter. Please note SFP have two different sides. The side with PCB metal contact should faces down.
2. Next, take off the dust protection cap on the SFP module, then attached the fiber optical cable to the SFP module. If duplex SFP module used, make sure the fiber optical cable is cross wiring. The receiving fiber optical cable should be attached to the transmitting at another end.
3. Now repeat the above process to complete the medial convertor connection on another end.
4. Next power up both media convertors. The PWR (power) and FX link indicator should be turned on. Now you have your fiber link ready. If the FX link is off, please check the fiber optical cable connection or change another fiber patch cord.
5. Now connect the RJ45 port to the IP devices and main network, the data indicator should start flashing which means two IP devices are talking over fiber link.